Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The American Accent: Pronunciation Of The Vowels
12-07-2017, 06:39 PM,
Big Grin  The American Accent: Pronunciation Of The Vowels
Many students of English have a definite feature since they pronounce English with the vowels of the language. They make this mistake since the English vowels are 'something similar to' the vowel sounds of these indigenous language, but they're not similar!

It's inadequate to hear radio and TV. Most of the people will only hear the sounds of their native language and won't learn to articulate the various sounds of-a new language including Engl...

The English Vowel APPEARS

Many students of English have a distinct accent simply because they pronounce English with the vowels of the language. They commit this mistake because the English vowels are 'something similar to' the vowel sounds of the indigenous language, but they're different!

It's not enough to listen to radio and TV. Most people will only hear the sounds of these indigenous language and will not learn to articulate different sounds of-a new language including English.

It is helpful to use a class with tracks of the language you're studying. An excellent one - and also economical - is found at http://www.bookslibros.com/charlesieENGLISH.htm. A bigger set of resopurces is found in: http://www.goodaccent.com/accentbooks.htm

Let us look at the 'genuine' vowels which are contained in many languages. They're called pure because they've set noise, like that of the note of well-tuned guitar. These vowels are formed with no interference by the lips, teeth or tongue. It's very important to understand that when we talk of the vowels a, e, i, e, u, we're speaking of the vowel sounds, not of the lettersof the alphabet. This really is crucial to consider in English because the same letter often represents a different sound in the English spelling. We'll indicate the sounds by enclosing them in brackets: /a/, /e/, /i/, /o/, /u/, and the characters in quotes: 'a', 'e', 'i', 'e', 'u.'

In the next section, you may get an instant look at the English vowels that sound 'something such as' the vowel sounds represented by the letters 'a', 'elizabeth', 'i', 'o', 'u' in several languages. In the remaining portion of the book, we will take a look at them with more depth and you will also be able to listen to them evident. (For the guide but only available in Spanish see: http://www.bookslibros.com/TuCD.htm) We will also go through the other English vowel sounds that are peculiar to English and aren't found in most other languages.

The next sounds of English are similar (not the same!) to the sounds /a/, /e/, /i/, /o/, /u/ within your language.

The English vowel of-the word pot is pronounced just like the letter 'a' in several languages. Learn once and for-all that in some words the letter 'o' is pronounced like the 'a' inside your language! That's just how it's. If you do not want it, you'll not change the language. It's easier to work on your pronunciation from the beginning.

The English 'e' in the term Might.

The English 'i' within the word feet.

The English 'o' in-the term target.

The English 'u' in-the word moon

We will focus on the five vowel sounds as /a/, /e/, /i/, /o/, /u/ as represented by the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA). These are the pure vowel sounds that are within English in the same way in several other languages.

The initial genuine vowel SOUND in English (represented by the letter 'a' in most languages) is represented by the letter 'e' In English. We repeat: you simply need to get used for this. For example the English term lot is pronounced as though it were lat in other languages.

You open your mouth wide when you make this noise. This sound arrive in the words father, vehicle, top, container and is the sam-e sound since the Spanish words padre, carro, tapa, pata, or the German Vater, achtung, machen, etc.

This sound is just a form of the English vowel sound /o/ (the 'short e ') and not of the /a/. Therefore the 'e' represents this sound more often compared to 'a.' To avoid confusion it's good to work with a book that's the symbols of the International Phonetic Alphabet, the IPA.

Sure, it's often safer to listen to an indigenous speaker but sometimes there isn't one around. For instance, when you research a term in the dictionary you will know the dictionary has the IPA symbols how to pronounce it.

Get yourself a good dictionary that uses the IPA like the 'Longmans Basic Dictionary of American English' or the outstanding 'Collins Cobuild English Dictionary for Advanced Learners' by cutting the appropriate following extended URL address and sticking it inside your browser:

For the Longmans: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/det...nbookslibr

For that Collins: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/det...nbookslibr

For more on this subject, see: http://www.inglesparalatinos.com

Let us go on to one other vowels /e/, /i/, /o/, /u/ or rather the sounds in English that are represented by these characters.

These sounds in English are not 'natural', as in a great many other languages, because almost they often end with another sound. They end up with a slight 'i' or 'u' sound based on which vowel it is. We will have this in more detail. Some teachers say that they've a bit 'tail' at the end.

If you pronounce the /e/ sound in English without the little 'tail' at the end, you will not be pronouncing this sound precisely.

In the musical My Fair Lady, the teacher attempts to teach the pronunciation of the English /e/ with the phrase, 'The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain.'

Your mouth is stretched to the factors whenever you make the /i/ noise. Remember this /i/ sound is rarely spelled with the letter 'i' in English.

There's hardly any 'end' after the sound of the /i/ in English in words including legs, pea.However, the /i/ is somewhat longer than in other languages. So you should exaggerate it and you'll be almost right. Discover more on a partner portfolio by going to tyler collins seo post.

If you pronounce the vowel /o/ of-the word phone (telephone) the same as the sounds son or ton in several languages (minus the 'end ') you will be addressing a marked accent. The /o/ sound in English is not natural. You have in order to complete the vowel with the 'tail' of-a little /u/ sound.

You have to sense your lips move as you pronounce the English /o/. They do not remain still as in other languages. As you finish the 'o' sound your lips make a round form as though you offering a hug.

Similarly to the /i/ sound, there is hardly any 'end' after the English /u/ sound.

You'll have a fairly good pronunciation by simply lengthening the vowel.

Your lips are rounded once you make the /u/ sound.

Overview of the English Vowels

The five basic vowel sounds of many languages exist in English but using the following observations:

1. To check up more, consider checking out: url. The vowel that is represented by the letter 'a' in several languages, more often appears in words with 'o.' This sound is pronounced without change in English. However, another vowels, /e/, /i/, /o/, /u/, each one is evident in a specifically English method. To check up additional info, consider having a peep at: see tyler collins seo. /e/ and /o/ have noted 'tails.' The /i/ results in an /i/ sound. And the /o/ finishes using a /u/ noise. The /i/ /u/ don't have tails, nevertheless they are lengthened.

2. English spelling has very little regarding the sounds it represents. Or to set up yet another way, English is not pronounced the way it's spelled.

The /a/ sound is the vowel sound of the English word pot.

The /e/ sound (always with-the 'end ') could be spelled many ways: may, weigh, they.

The sound /i/ (just a little prolonged) can be used in several different ways: feet, pea, area, get.

The sound /o/ (having its /u/ end) is represented in these ways: mortgage, enemy, though, hit, owe. We discovered a guide to tyler collins seo resource by browsing the Internet.

The sound /u/ (a bit lengthened) shows up under in unexpected ways in the English words moon and through.

Odd spelling in English! Right? Nevertheless the spelling in still another problem! We will get to it. For that moment, only focus on the pronunciation.

One method to remember would be to think about how you form your moth when you speak English. Try and imagine that you're smiling when you finish a word that ends with all the /i/ sound. When you finish the word May possibly you stretch your lips.

Similarly, make the effort to consider giving a hug when you finish a word that ends with all the /u/ sound. You complete the sound of the /o/ within the word go by puckering your lips as if you were going to blow out a candle or give a hug.

Do not forget! We've been talking of the vowel sounds, not the characters of the alphabet that sometimes represent them. The word bottom has got the same /o/ sound whilst the words go, move, nevertheless, and sweetheart. We'll look at spelling a tad bit more in the rest of the guide, 'Leer E-s Poder' durante http://www.bookslibros.com/muestra/muestra_index.htm.

Meanwhile if you read Spanish you can find pages on Pronunciacin and Ortografa in http:/www.inglesparalatinos.com. You can even get our boletn in Spanish by going to: http://www.eListas.net/lista/leerespoder/alta.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply